10 Observations from the Couch
1. Lights out shooting and getting the tempo they wanted, UNC worked UVA right out of the gym on Sunday. Great quote from Jontel Evans to Michael Phillips of the RTD on how they were seduced into the pace of play: http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/college/basketball/virginia-falls-to-north-carolina-in-high-scoring-game/article_33ec1788-786b-11e2-ba76-001a4bcf6878.html
2. After watching Juvonte Reddic power through George Washington for 24 points and 10 boards, I had to agree with Shaka Smart when he said he thought his big man could have played better. I know it sounds like unreasonable expectations and I am not dogging Juvonte in anyway but Reddic shows signs in games where he can be more than good. He shows at time he can be dominant. (With that all said, his game and dunk show will most likely be my Highlight of the weekend)
3.Get ready for Danica-mania this week. I understand this is a huge accomplishment because she is the first woman to get the pole at Daytona but since she does want to be treated and equal, I can’t get ridiculously excited that she got the pole. I will leave that for when she finally wins a race.
4. Sitting with my father-in-law yesterday as he was getting his NASCAR fix and watching Danica take the pole, I enjoyed the technology FOX showed by shadowing Jeff Gordon's car over Patrick's to show how she edged him out for the pole.
5.Very funny opening to SNL this week as they mocked the Cruise Ship that was stuck at sea. http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/
6. It was awesome to see the Birthday tributes to Michael Jordan over the weekend. It never gets old seeing the greatness that he was. ESPN did a really good job running a montage of his career, his retirements, and his comeback. Jordan has been a basketball failure after retirement but it still never dilutes his incredible career.
7. You know how light of a sports day it was Sunday? When SportsCenter is showing Patriot League highlights, you know it's a slow sports day!
8. And so it begins: The NFL Combine (or as my colleague John Kincade calls it "The Underwear Olympics". Read what the new test is this year:http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8956870/report-national-football-league-implement-second-aptitude-test-combine
9. Huge week ahead. What to watch out for: VCU at St.Louis, Virginia at Miami, Daytona 500 and who becomes the NFL's crush at the Combine.
10. New song that has made it on my Ipod: Wintersleep Weighty Ghost. Check it out here: