10 Observations from the Couch
1) This should really be called 10 Observations from my Bed as that is where I spent most of my time this weekend with a nasty cold. God bless DayQuil, NyQuil and Mucinex......and Makers Mark!!!
2) I did get out of my DayQuil/Vicks Vapo Rub haze long enough to see Virginia get a good road win over Maryland. Good shooting (especially from 3)overcame some foul trouble and UVA took it to Maryland. A much needed road win helps a team that I saw Joe Lunardi have on this list of the Last 4 out on Sunday's projections.
3) Speaking of good road wins, VCU gets one as well in Charlotte handing the 49ers a rare home loss. The Rams not only down a team with a Top 60 RPI but also showed Coach Smart and themselves they could continue to play aggressive while playing in foul trouble.This is something that Coach Smart has addressed the past few weeks in regards to guys like Tre Graham and Briante Weber. Good job by Rob Brandenburg to step and take the lead on Saturday.
4) Tweet of the Weekend from @RGIII while Robert Griffin III was doing pool rehab it looks like he got a visitor: @RGIII: Sweet 16 party runs in on me doing rehab in the pool...then one of the girls jumps in and tells me "I love you"... #FanAppreciation<http://search.twitter.com/search?q=#FanAppreciation
5) STAT of the Weekend: N Dame beats Louisville in 5 OT's-longest reg. season game Big East history. 17 pts for ND's Garrick Sherman who DID NOT PLAY in regulation.
(from John Buccigross)
6) How about Miami???? The Hurricanes have been good for weeks but their dismantling and sweep of UNC has people talking about Miami deserving consideration for best team in the country. (But they probably want to avoid the #1 spot! It's been a curse for everyone else.)
7) Thanks to Combat Sports Center for having me as their Ring Announcer on Saturday night for CSC 35. I was really impressed by the quality of fights and the pace as they kept the night moving. It was my first time seeing a live kickboxing fight and it is fierce. More on this Monday.
8) I believe this is the 3rd Weekend in a row, Lebron James has done something noteworthy that I find awesome. Three weeks ago it was tackling the fan who hit the 1/2 Court Shot. Then it was his childlike, in awe-attitude at the White House. Now this:
9) Guess who is your SI swimsuit Cover Girl? Click to find out (and note: dont do it around your kids or wife. There is staring involved.) http://extramustard.si.com/2013/02/08/kate-upton-2013-swimsuit-cove/
10) Grammy's Note: Thank you to Katy Perry's dressmaker. (it is your loss if you have no clue what i'm talking about._
Performance of the Night: The Black Keys