10 Observations from the Couch (and Press Row, the Recliner, and the movie theatre)
1.Good win over the weekend for UVA as they protect their home court advantage and defeat Boston College only 48 hours after defeating Virginia Tech. Another fine performance by Justin Anderson, who like many Rookies are making a name for themselves in CVille. Up next for the 'Hoos: NC State on Tuesday. Great stat by David Teel of the Daily Press: David Teel (@DavidTeelatDP)
1/26/13 9:52 PM NC State scored 91 tonight vs. UNC. None of #UVa's six #ACC opponents has hit 60 against Cavs.
2.Back to back losses for VCU as they fall to LaSalle on Saturday 69-61. A game of wild runs but also a game where Treveon Graham didnt have his legs all night. 4-17 and 0 for 4 from 3p where a result of a game where Treveon just didnt have the pep. Rams need to regroup after back to back losses and hopefully can do it vs Rhode Island and Fordham this week. No need for a "Chicken Little and the Sky is Falling" feel towards VCU but they need to regroup and rest up because as Hoops Fans are finding out, the A-10 is one of the least easiest roads to March.
3. Good to see my fellow colleague Patrick Stevens this week. One of the most dedicated passionate College Basketball writers in the country. Unfortunately a victim of layoffs at the Washington Times, Patrick is still out hitting the beat as I caught up with him on his Saturday road trip that included a stop in Durham for Duke and Maryland and a pitstop in Richmond for VCU-LaSalle on his way back to College Park.
4. Did you happen to see the Heat fan who hit the halfcourt shot to win $75,000 on Friday? Michael Drysch swished a half court shot Friday to win himself and the Boys and Girls Club $75 K each. Drysch got $75K, got taxed $22k but also got tackled by Lebron James at Center Court. Dont know about you but I will still take the moment and $50,000. Let the Government have their share! (Very cool by Lebron James btw)
5. Have you seen who the new racing President will be at Nationals games? Hint: He is a President who could have used a few runs......http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/01/26/taft-unveiled-as-the-new-racing-president/
6. Irony? 3 days after getting VCU late, the Richmond Spiders led UMass led 63-56 late and went cold...http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/college/richmond/late-dry-spell-dooms-ur-at-umass/article_57687722-68c8-11e2-9df7-0019bb30f31a.html
7. The unexpected, unwanted surprise of the weekend was seeing the press release of Antone Exum's injury on Sunday night.
Virginia Tech All-ACC cornerback Antone Exum has suffered a tear of his right ACL and lateral meniscus and will be evaluated daily to determine if he is ready for surgery. Head athletic trainer Mike Goforth said he hopes for possible surgery, which will be done by Dr. Marc Siegel at LewisGale Montgomery, to happen as early as Thursday. Recovery time is estimated at 6-9 months.
8. Awesome Goalie Fight!!!!
9. Wife and I did Breakfast and a Movie yesterday to fill the void of no football.Loving the Dairy Bar down off the Boulevard for Breakfast. I've eaten there the past two Sunday and am hooked on their 2eggs, corned beef hash, homefries and rye toast. (But can a brother get some scrapple?) Saw Silver Linings Playbook yesterday. Brilliant and should win a heap load of awards. Go see it. That is all.
10. Dallas is back tonight. My weekly guilty pleasure but I know I'm not the only one. (Still wondering how they kill off JR?)