Ten Observations from the Couch (over the weekend)
1. Told you not to sleep on the basketball this weekend. Good upset win by the Hokies over #15 Oklahoma State. Also,tough hard fought win by VCU over a good Belmont team that is only going to get better. The Rams did it without Darius Theus, who missed the game with a sprained MCL. Gritty win by VCU.
2. Many people had many thoughts over the tragedy involving Chiefs Jovan Belcher. Kudos especially to the commentary done by ESPNs Tom Jackson and FOX's Terry Bradshaw, who didn't lose sight that this guy was a murderer and the real tragedy isn't just involving a NFL team but also an infant child who no longer has both her parents. And how Romeo Crennel got himself and his team to rally today to play a game, not mind a win, after a young man killed himself in front of him, I've no idea?
Poor choice by Bob Costas to go on NBC to use the moment to air his opinion about gun control. Costas lost site that this was about domestic violence and how that happens,not just with guns. Also if you are going to go on a personal mission, use your own stuff, dont quote a colleague. It dilutes the effectiveness.
3.I saw a note on Twitter Saturday asking which would you REALLY rather see: Alabama vs Notre Dame or Alabama and Georgia Part II?
4.Final BCS Standings would have made a hell of a final 4: Notre Dame vs Oregon.Alabama vs Florida.(man can dream cant he?)
5. I feel bad the kids from Louisiana Tech that got hosed out of a bowl. The bowl system and La Tech's athletic administration hosed the kids out of a game.....but since when was it about the kids in college football?
6. Much more on the show on the firings at UVA in the football office but the wording of Mike London's statement doesn't seem to add up this was all his choice./ I was a little surprised by the firing of Jim Reid because of all the things that needed to be worked on in Charlottesville, the overall defense wasnt the top item on the priority list. London seems to have made more questions then answers.
7. Huge days by Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson!!! Wonder if Robert Griffin III can pull off a victory hat trick on MNF?
8. Mike Tomlin, if you are actually going out for the handshake, at least show your colleague some mutual respect.
9. Way to go long lost cousin Greg!!!!!!My favorite Tweet of the weekend from @darrenrovell: https://twitter.com/wessr910/status/275407835599364096
10. Personal observation after: 3 trips to Lowe's, $80.00 spent, and 4.5 hours in the front yard=Christmas lights make the house pretty but are a monstrous pain in the ass to put up!!!!!